Check-Out Process & Timeline
The last resident to leave campus housing must schedule a check-out appointment with their hall staff and officially check-out of their room prior to departure from campus. The first resident to depart from the room is eligible to participate in Express Check-Out. It’s quick and convenient!
Students who participate in Express Check-Out should read and understand the expectations and instructions related to the Spring Closing process: when participating in Express Check-Out, students waive their right to appeal should the room and surrounding common areas not be cleaned or returned to the specified standards, or if damages are found during the post-occupancy inspection as stated on either the Room Condition Report, the Spring Closing brochure, and/or other Residence Life and Housing publications. All residents share equal responsibility in preparing the room for check-out, regardless of the departure time for each resident. All students who participate in Express Check-Out acknowledge that if he or she is not the last resident to check-out that all billable damages or housekeeping charges will be paid.
Thursday, April 27 – Friday, May 5, 2017
- Review closing information delivered to residents by the hall staff.
- Begin to return room to the condition found at check-in.
- Questions concerning possible room damage or check-out should be referred to the resident’s Resident Adviser.
- Schedule a check-out appointment by following the instructions by your hall staff. All students need to schedule an appointment at which time you will indicate if you plan to utilize Express or Standard Check-Out. Appointments must be scheduled no later than Friday, April 28, 2017
Friday, April 28 – Friday, May 5, 2017
- Undergraduate students check-out of the residence halls. All undergraduates not officially involved with commencement related activities must vacate their building by 7 pm, Friday, May 5.
- Undergraduates requesting to remain beyond the deadline must complete the 2017 Interim Housing Request through WIN by visiting WIN>Virtual Campus>Residence Life and Housing, by Friday, April 28, 2017 by 12:00 noon.
Monday, May 15, 2017
Helpful Hint: Do not use trash bags to transport your belongings – they may be mistaken as garbage and thrown away.
- Failure to follow these steps may result in a minimum of a $50.00 Improper Check-Out fine; in addition to any housekeeping or damage charges that may be assessed.
- Hall staff will inspect resident rooms to determine billable damages after residents have vacated the room. Residents may request housekeeping and room condition inspections to be performed at the time of their departure.
- All students are expected to clean their room and any surrounding common areas (i.e. bathrooms, suite hallways, living rooms and balconies) prior to vacating their rooms.
- Remember! Take ALL bulk trash, including bagged trash, to designated areas outside the building(s).
How to Check Out of Your Room:
If you are the last resident to depart…you may NOT participate in Express Check-Out! You MUST follow these instructions regarding a check-out appointment and leaving campus housing:
- If you are the last resident to depart your room, you must have a check-out appointment set with your hall staff no later than Friday, April 28, 2017. Please make your check-out appointment at the hall office.
- Prior to meeting your hall staff for your check-out appointment, please remove all of your personal belongings, clean your room and arrange your furniture (all of the furniture issued to the room) to the same configuration found on check-in day in August.
- With your room key(s) in hand, meet the hall staff at the hall office for your designated check-out time. Be patient if the hall staff member is completing another check-out, it is a hectic time of year for everyone.
- You will go with the hall staff member to your room where the staff member will perform the necessary inspections and key check. Once you are cleared for this inspection, you will sign the appropriate paperwork and are free to leave. Billable damage charges will be mailed to you from the Financial and Accounting Services office after school closes for the summer break.
If you are not the last resident to depart…you may participate in Express Check-Out. You MUST follow these instructions regarding leaving campus housing:
- Complete the information on the Express Check-Out envelope that was delivered to you by your Resident Adviser.
- DROP YOUR KEY(S) INTO THE ENVELOPE AND SEAL IT. (Don’t forget to complete all the information on the front of the envelope.)
- Place the envelope in the mail slot or designated drop at your hall office.
Questions & Answers About Closing
Lost Your Keys?
If you have lost your key(s) or fail to return your key(s) at check-out, you will be charged for a lock core change and replacement of the key(s). The cost of recoring a lock is a minimum of $75.00.
As you are cleaning your room, you are encouraged to donate re-usable decent furniture and clothing to this student-led, non-profit program designed to reduce end-of-the year waste and benefit local charities. Students wishing to donate clothing should look for marked boxes in the lobby areas of residence halls. Take furniture to designated areas. Keep watching in your buildings for more information to be posted!
Do you have bulk trash items?
Large items and bagged trash should be taken to one of the following designated trash pick-up areas. You are responsible for removing, from the building, any items in the room that were not present at check-in. You will not be able to leave the items in the hallways, balconies, courtyards, or common areas. Regardless of which type of check-out you participate in, all bulk trash items (which includes bagged trash) must be removed from your room and surrounding common areas and placed in the appropriate Bulk Trash location or an additional housekeeping fine (minimum of $50.00) will be assessed to each resident.
- Move Out 2017 Bulk Trash and Dumpster Locations by Building
- Commencement 2017 Bulk Trash and Dumpster Locations by Building
Summer storage is NOT available in the residence halls or houses. Please contact the Wake Forest Post Office for storage options at 336.758.5281 or email@example.com.
All MicroFridge® appliances must be cleaned (inside and out, as well as the removal of any stickers or magnets), defrosted and wiped dry. Please leave the MicroFridge® appliance unplugged and the doors open on both parts of the appliance.
Receive a Bill For Damage?
Residence Life and Housing will forward billable damage information to Financial and Accounting Services within 12 working days after commencement. Prompt payment once you receive notification from Financial and Accounting Services is requested to avoid a hold being placed on your record for registration, room check-in for the fall term, Off-Campus Housing approval or transcript release. If you feel that you have been issued a bill incorrectly, and you did not participate in the Express Check-Out process, you may appeal the bill, in writing, within 30 days of receipt of the bill to Residence Life and Housing, firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your name, room number and building; as well as, your reason for appeal.
See your hall staff or contact Residence Life and Housing via e-mail at email@example.com or telephone at 336.758.5185.