Students requesting to be released from the University’s residency requirement must petition for approval to reside off-campus. Additionally, students who wish change their residency status (on-campus to off-campus day) to live with parents at their permanent home in the Winston-Salem area may petition to be released.
Exceptions to the residency requirement for reasons other than living at home in the Winston-Salem area are typically very rare and only granted for individually compelling circumstances. If your petition to move off-campus is granted, you are reclassified as a non-resident student and will no longer eligible for any part of guaranteed campus housing (including Greek Block housing).
Students on named scholarships are reminded the must maintain four years of campus residency. Exceptions are rare, and may be granted at the discretion of the Scholarship Committee.
Students who are discovered to have moved off-campus without receiving prior permission will, minimally, have their class registration held (or possibly canceled), risk financial penalties, and be required to submit an application for review. If the application is approved, the student will receive a warning similar to those students who have had a law enforcement officer visit their residence (see Off-Campus Conduct). If the application is denied, the student will need to apply to return to campus housing (based on space availability).
If you would like to live off-campus, please submit a petition to be released through the Residence Life and Housing Portal found in WIN > Virtual Campus.
(For students wishing to petition to move off campus for Fall Semester 2018)
1. Priority Consideration:
- Petition Form will be available from February 5, 2018 – February 16, 2018
- Petition to be Released Decisions – letters will be e-mailed to WFU e-mail addresses by Friday, February 23, 2018
- All housing and meal plan charges will continue to accrue and are the responsibility of the student until the student is officially released, in writing, from the University’s residency requirement and the Housing and Dining Agreement.
- Students requesting an exception to the University’s residency requirement should proceed as normal with the room selection process until a decision regarding their petition has been reached.
- If you have a roommate, please be courteous and notify them of your intention to leave campus housing.
Students submitting a petition after Friday, November 17, 2017 may be charged a Cancellation Fee, even if the petition is approved.