The end of the semester is just around the corner and with that, the Office of Residence Life and Housing is in full prep mode to wrap it up smoothly. We are also in full swing planning and preparing for Spring 2020. Below are some important date reminders:
- Thanksgiving Break – November 27 – December 1, 2019
- Residence halls remain OPEN during this break, however all rooms will be inspected on Tuesday, November 26 to ensure health and safety.
- Thanksgiving break provides a great opportunity for students to change out seasonal apparel or other items no longer needed.
- As your students prepare to travel, remind them to take passports and valuables with them, secure bikes in bike racks, and be sure to lock their rooms.
- As a reminder, University offices will be closed on Thursday, November 28 and Friday, November 29.
- For more including a break checklist please visit go.wfu.edu/RLHbreakinfo.
- Winter Break – December 16, 2019 – January 11, 2020
- ALL residence halls close and residents must depart campus by 12:00 p.m. on Sunday, December 15, 2019.
- During this time students will not have access to their rooms, so please remind them to pack accordingly.
- As a reminder, University offices will be closed Monday, December 23 thru Friday, December 27 and on Wednesday, January 1.
- More information will be available at go.wfu.edu/RLHbreakinfo.
- Spring Opening –
- Residence halls open for students to return on Saturday, January 11, 2020.
- Students involved with sorority recruitment will receive details regarding their return to campus via email and can visit our Fraternity and Sorority Life website for complete details on the recruitment process.
- More information will be available soon on the Residence Life and Housing website.
- Weather Change –
- This is the time of year our weather starts to change here in North Carolina. With that, we’re hearing from many students regarding concerns about their heating and air conditioning. To understand how our units work, click here (PDF).
- As we plan for closing and opening, we always want to remind everyone that in the event of inclement weather, Wake Alert will provide the most up-to-date information on University operations.
Some other helpful notes from the Office of Residence Life and Housing:
- Students are encouraged to notify the University of any facility concerns as soon as possible by submitting a work order at workorders.wfu.edu. Additionally, Facilities and Campus Services staff will be inspecting many facilities the week of Thanksgiving to stay attuned to overall facility conditions.
- We will soon begin our selection process for Resident Advisers for the 2020-21 Academic Year. Resident Advisers (RAs) are student leaders hired to live and work in a residential community setting. RAs have a unique opportunity to create vibrant and inclusive communities while developing leadership skills! Students in the RA role will learn and develop beneficial skills that employers are looking for including teamwork, interpersonal communication, critical thinking, and problem-solving. Through servant leadership, residence education, implementation of policy, and participation in administrative operations, RAs make a difference in their residents’ lives and help make Wake Forest a place students will want to call home. For more information on the RA role or how to apply, please visit go.wfu.edu/ra.
- The Office of Residence Life and Housing will also soon be starting to look for groups of students interested in living in Interest, Themed Communities or a Living Learning Community as apart of the Residential Engagement Communities Program. The Residential Engagement Community (REC) program provides students with an opportunity to take an active role in their residential and educational experience at Wake Forest University by engaging in a community of individuals with common educational or co-curricular interests. Groups that are interested in living in community with a shared interest or topic can apply for this program or can join an existing community. Information about the Residential Engagement Community program can be found at go.wfu.edu/rec.
As always, do not hesitate to contact our office if you have questions or if we can be of assistance. We can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or 336.758.5185.