Residents who will be away for all or any significant portion of the break should follow the steps listed below:
- Remove and discard perishable items.
- Remove all trash and recyclables.
- Take all valuables (i.e., computers, books, money, medications, clothing, etc.) that may be needed during the break. This will also be a precaution against theft or damage.
- Close and lock all windows, room and apartment doors. Keys and identification card should not be left in a resident’s room.
- Remove any items that may be blocking or have been placed on or near the air conditioner/heater unit.
- Fan coil units are to be set on 70° and low.
- Personal property should be moved off the floor. This could avoid loss or damage if there is an unforeseen facility issue.
- Store all food in closed containers. Remove perishables.
- Turn off lights and lock room door.