COVID-19 Off-Campus Resources

Wake Forest University Arch on Hearn Plaza at Dusk

Please visit for information and details about our COVID-19 response.

    COVID-19 Policies

  • What are campus requirements for masks?

    Masks are optional for fully vaccinated individuals, except in settings noted below.

    Individuals who are not fully vaccinated against COVID-19 are expected to wear masks indoors when in the presence of others.

    Regardless of vaccination status, masks will be required in the Student Health Service, for some activities in the fitness center, and in vehicles used for public transportation based on CDC recommendations and federal requirements for those settings. Please adhere to posted signs.

    Masks are recommended by the CDC for individuals who are immunocompromised or otherwise at high risk of severe COVID infection even if fully vaccinated. People may continue to wear masks for many reasons, and we ask that every member of our community respect individual choices as we navigate this period of transition.

  • What is the COVID education module I am required to complete?

    You must complete this COVID education and training module

    Health Questions

  • What Student Health Services resources are available?

    Many visits will be available through telehealth (“on-line”) technology.  There will be a separate clinical area designated for evaluation and care of individuals with symptoms consistent with COVID-19.  The telehealth appointments as well as this separate area will help to minimize the risk to other students in the Student Health clinic from exposure to COVID-19.

    In addition, rapid “point of care” antigen testing for SARS-CoV-2 (the virus that causes COVID-19) will be available in August at the Student Health Service.  Students with symptoms of COVID-19 may be tested based upon the evaluation of the Student Health providers.  Half day clinics will be available on Saturdays and Sundays with similar resources as the Monday through Friday clinics.

    A nurse will be available by phone when the clinic is closed on evenings, nights, and weekends to assist students with medical concerns.  In order to limit potential exposure to COVID-19 at the Student Health Service there will not be a nurse on duty in the Student Health Service when the clinic is closed.

    NOTE:  In order to limit potential exposure to COVID-19 at the Student Health Service, students should always call the Student Health Service (336-758-5218) prior to coming to the SHS office for any problem.

  • What if I become ill?

    It is IMPERATIVE that students with symptoms consistent with COVID-19 (fever, cough, shortness of breath) call the Student Health Service (336-758-5281) or your primary care physician before going for an evaluation.  If you believe your life is in danger, you are gravely ill, or another person near you is gravely ill, you should call 911 immediately.

    The Wake Forest University Student Health Services website has information about appointment days and times.

    If you are diagnosed with COVID-19, there are instructions on how to care for yourself at your off-campus residence.

  • What if my roommate or housemate becomes ill?

    You may be in a living situation where you have a roommate, housemate or family members and will be sharing common areas such as bathrooms or kitchens.  It will be especially important to keep your living spaces as clean as possible.  Please see the CDC’s prevention recommendations.  Note the “clean and disinfect” guidelines and regularly clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces in your dwelling. The CDC also has information on what to do if a housemate becomes ill.

    If you have contact with an individual diagnosed or suspected to have COVID-19, you should comply with all public health recommendations for controlling the spread to others such as isolation or quarantine.  Students should contact the Student Health Service (336-758-5218) or your primary care physician for guidance if this has occurred.

  • How can I get a COVID test?

    Please see the Student Health Service FAQ on COVID for details.

  • How can I protect myself?

    All individuals should follow the guidance of the CDC in preventing COVID-19.  Key recommendations include:

    • Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds especially after you have been in a public place, or after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing.
    • If soap and water are not readily available, use a hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol.  Cover all surfaces of your hands and rub them together until they feel dry.
    • Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
    • Avoid close contact with people who are sick
    • Put distance between yourself and other people
    • Clean AND disinfect frequently touched surfaces daily.  This includes tables, doorknobs, light switches, countertops, handles, desks, phones, keyboards, toilets, faucets, and sinks.
  • How can I access prescription medication and other health care needs?

    Student Health Service (SHS) support

    • The Student Health Service (SHS) serves off-campus students.
    • SHS offers telehealth visits (in addition to in-clinic visits if the telehealth provider recommends an in-person visit, lab test, x-ray or nurse visit). Call 336-758-5218 and follow the prompts on the menu.
    • SHS has an after-hours nurse advice line for students; call 336-758-5218 and follow the prompts on the menu. 
    • Students who do not live on-campus can access the Student Health Service if deemed appropriate by the telehealth provider.  The Student Health Service will arrange for access to campus if this occurs. Off campus students should call the Student Health Service if they feel they need to be seen on campus (336-758-5218).

    Prescription Needs

    • Many pharmacies have drive-thru windows which provide an added level of protection.
    • Student Health Service has a relationship with a local pharmacy that will deliver in Winston-Salem.  Stanleyville Family Pharmacy should be contacted directly. or 336-377-3979. See more.
  • Are other supports available to me?

    Visit our comprehensive mental health and wellbeing page.

    There is free wellbeing coaching offered to undergraduate and graduate students, faculty, and staff. We encourage graduate and professional students to take advantage of this coaching; it is all done virtually.

    For academic-related resources, students should visit

    The University Counseling Center (UCC) recognizes the impact that the COVID-19 public health crisis is having on our campus community and is available to continue providing services to students of WFU.  However, to protect the welfare of both students and UCC staff, there will be a shift in the way we provide services during this unprecedented event. Visit their website for additional information.