Residency Requirement and Continued Housing

Wake Forest has a six-semester residency requirement and is committed to providing eight semesters of on-campus housing for residential students in good standing.

  • Students are expected to fulfill the residency requirement consecutively, barring time away from the University (e.g. Continuous Enrollment Status-CES, withdrawal, etc.) 
  • Students living in University housing or studying abroad during the fall or spring semester earn a housing credit as of the census date each semester. 
  • Students who are away from the University (e.g. CES, withdrawal) as of the census date do not earn a housing credit for that semester. 
  • Summer sessions do not count toward the residency requirement.
  • Transfer students will receive a housing credit for each fall or spring semester completed at full-time status at another institution. Residence Life and Housing will work with the Office of the University Registrar on these evaluations. 

The University’s commitment to providing eight semesters of on-campus housing is for residential students in good standing. Students who are released from, or have fulfilled their residency requirement and do not select housing during the room selection process, may request a return to housing on campus based on availability.

Exceptions to Residency Requirement

Students may request an exception to the residency requirement by submitting a request via the Housing Portal should they meet one of the following criteria:

  • Living with a Parent/Guardian at their permanent residence in Forsyth County or a contiguous county
    • Living with a parent or guardian will impact a student’s cost of attendance and students receiving financial aid should follow up with Student Financial Aid to determine the impact on financial aid eligibility.   
  • Living with and having parental responsibilities for a minor child in Forsyth County or a contiguous county
  • Married and living with their spouse in Forsyth County or a contiguous county
  • 24 years of age or older
  • Financially independent as determined by Student Financial Aid

Students may also enter the Off-Campus Lottery. This indicates a desire to live off-campus prior to fulfilling the residency requirement. As the Office of Residence Life and Housing finalizes the number of students able to live off-campus, they will use a random selection process to release the appropriate number of students.

For more information on policies related to living off-campus, please visit our Off-Campus Housing page.

Housing for Minor Students

Campus housing for students who are not eighteen (18) at the time of matriculation is subject to the approval of both the Dean of Students and the Dean of Admissions. All students, including minors, will be held accountable for the policies and procedures outlined in this guide as well as the University’s Student Code of Conduct, the University’s Student Sexual Misconduct Policy, and other published policies or procedures. Any violations of these policies and procedures are subject to referral to the Office of the Dean of Students.

Housing for Part-Time Students

According to the University’s Academic Bulletin:

A student may not register for part-time status (i.e., fewer than 12 hours in a single semester) without specific permission from the Office of Academic Advising by the last day to add a class. Approval for part-time status requires that students pay for such work on a per-hour basis. Petitions for part-time status after the last day to add a class will be denied, except in the case of special circumstances, and the student will be required to pay full tuition. Part-time students may be ineligible for campus housing unless an exception is made by the Office of Residence Life and Housing.

Individuals wishing to live on campus as part-time students should write to to explain their situation and request an exception to this policy.

Housing Selection

Changing Rooms

Housing and Dining Agreements

The Housing and Dining Agreements are binding agreements entered into by and between the University and the Student. Students should review these documents with the same level of care as other legal documents (e.g. lease, contract, etc.).