We highly recommend enabling JavaScript for the best experience. You can find detailed instructions for your browser at enable-javascript.com.


Explained below are the three housing options available to students classified with Non-Residential status for housing purposes – those who are not guaranteed housing.

Non-Residential Student Waitlist for On-Campus Housing

As a Non-Residential Student, you are not guaranteed campus housing, nor are you eligible to participate in the Fall Room Selection process. To be considered for campus housing, you must participate in the Non-Residential Student Waitlist sign-up process by submitting a Non-Residential Student Housing Application (or in Residence Life and Housing, 001 Angelou Hall). Applications will be accepted beginning February 1st in 001 Angelou Hall.

If space is, or becomes, available after all “Resident” students (those who are guaranteed campus housing) are assigned, students from the Non-Residential Student Waitlist are offered campus housing on a first come, first serve basis depending on the date and time the application was received. You will, therefore, be at an advantage to complete your request early. Due to the fact that the Fall Room Selection process for Resident students is not complete until August, it is not likely that you would be contacted about any available vacancies prior to late summer or the beginning of the fall semester.

Petition for a Change to Resident Status

As a Non-Residential Student, you may petition to have your status changed to that of “Resident” student, which would then afford you guaranteed campus housing. To qualify for a status change, you must meet the following criteria set by the Board of Trustees:

  • Two full semesters at Wake Forest University (excluding summer school);
  • A minimum of a 3.0 cumulative grade point average. Concession students must have a minimum of a 2.0 cumulative grade point average; and
  • Be in good standing with the University, i.e., have no outstanding judicial or honor violations, no outstanding overdue bills, etc.

To petition for a status change, please submit a written request via email to eaneska@wfu.edu, via U.S. Post Office to Residence Life and Housing, P.O. Box 7749, Winston-Salem, NC, 27109, or in person to 001 Angelou Hall.

The deadline for your petition to be submitted in writing to Residence Life and Housing is 5 p.m. on the last Friday in February. All requests will be reviewed and a written response will be emailed to you within two weeks. Students who plan to petition for a status change are still encouraged to sign up for the Non-Residential Student Waitlist to ensure their best chance for campus housing in the event that their petition is denied.

Off-Campus Housing

All Non-Residential Students planning to live off-campus are reminded that they must participate in the Off-Campus Housing Registration Process.