We highly recommend enabling JavaScript for the best experience. You can find detailed instructions for your browser at enable-javascript.com.

Residence Hall Safety

Please Note: Though some of the information and guidelines below are specific to the beginning of each semester, it is a valuable resource for understanding student expectations regarding residence hall safety, comfort and community living. Check out the 2016-17 Guide to Community Living for additional information.



This is only a guide; the 2016-17 Guide to Community Living includes a complete list of allowed/prohibited items.

What to bring to campus:

  • UL-approved power strips (with a circuit breaker)
  • Soap, toiletries, shower bucket
  • Towels, washcloths
  • Bathrobe, slippers
  • Hair dryer
  • Twin sheets (Extra Long), blankets
  • Bedspread
  • Pillow and pillowcases
  • Wastepaper basket
  • Desk lamp
  • Dictionary, stapler, pens, pencils
  • Stationery, stamps
  • Memo board for door
  • Camera
  • Detergent, iron, laundry bag, clothes hangers
  • Alarm clock
  • Television, with coaxial cable (HDTV or receiver optional)
  • Flashlight
  • Radio, stereo
  • Keurigs or Keurig-style makers

What you cannot bring:

  • Bed lofts
  • Fans with cooling systems
  • Humidifiers or Misters of any kind
  • Extension cords
  • Plug-in air fresheners
  • Multi-plug adapters
  • Halogen lamps
  • Candles (including those that are decorative)
  • Fireworks or weapons (including paintball guns)
  • Foam Mattress toppers
  • Microwave ovens
  • Toasters or toaster ovens
  • Electric grills or George Foreman grills
  • Hot plates or electric skillets
  • Crockpots; waffle or crepe pans
  • Electric/space heaters
  • Any coil appliances
  • Kerosene lamps or appliances
  • Waterbeds
  • Pets and animals
  • Black lights
  • Additional air conditioners
  • Non UL-approved lighting
  • Wireless computer access points (the University will provide connectivity)
  • Candle warmers
  • Cinder blocks

All residence hall rooms are equipped with a wireless access point for an Internet Protocol (IP) phone connection. Students are prohibited from bringing their own landline due to service not being supported for the device. IP phones will be signed out to students at their request.


Mold Prevention

Important Information about Mold

Mold FAQs

Wake Forest University is committed to achieving excellence in providing a healthy and safe campus and supporting environmentally sound practices in the conduct of university activities.  It is WFU policy to comply with all applicable environmental health and safety laws, regulations, and requirements.

WFU implements best management practices and initiatives to systematically integrate environmental, health, and safety considerations and appropriate sustainable use of natural resources into all activities. All activities are to conducted in a manner that ensures the protection of students, faculty, staff, visitors, the campus community, and our campus environment.

Through careful planning and collaborative effort, WFU has worked diligently to prevent workplace injuries and illnesses, environmental incidents, and damage or loss of property. We ask each member of the university community to focus daily on making WFU a safe and healthy community for all to enjoy.

Please remember to immediately contact Residence Life & Housing (housing@wfu.edu) and/or Facilities & Campus Services (hall@wfu.edu) if you have any reason to think you have a mold/mildew issue in your room. 

Please pay special attention to the recommendations below to prevent mold/mildew growth in your room:

  • Molds are part of the natural environment.  Molds may begin growing indoors when mold spores land on wet or damp surfaces.
  • Molds produce allergens, but like any other allergen, exposed individuals will respond differently. Some may have no reaction, while others may experience hay-fever type symptoms or more severe symptoms.  If you are having symptoms you believe may be the result of mold allergens, make an appointment with Student Health for an examination.
  • It is impossible to get rid of all mold and mold spores indoors (from the Environmental Protection Agency – A Brief Guide to Mold, Moisture and Your Home http://www.epa.gov/mold/moldbasics.html).
  • Generally, it is not necessary to identify the species of mold growing in an area, and the Centers for Disease Control does not recommend routine sampling for molds.
  • WFU has a Mold Management Plan for identifying and treating areas of potential mold growth.
  • WFU Facilities and Campus Services will treat any area of mold less than 10 square feet.  If greater than 10 square feet, WFU will hire an outside contractor to treat the area.  This is based on recommendations from the CDC and EPA.
  • Moisture sources may include leaking pipes, standing water, damp clothing or towels, mattress pad toppers or condensation in the air.
  • To help prevent mold growth:

    • Do not open windows while heating or cooling units are operating. This will cause condensation and may contribute to mold growth.
    • Do not leave wet or damp clothes, towels or shoes in closets.  Set them out on drying racks until completely dry.
    • Do not place potted plants or any other source of moisture on or around heating and cooling units.
    • Do not block the airflow from your heating or cooling unit.
    • We strongly discourage the use of foam mattress toppers with the waterproof mattresses in the residence halls.  The lack of air circulation between foam toppers and waterproof mattresses does not allow any night time moisture to evaporate. The more dense the pad the less the air will circulate to evaporate moisture. Moisture can pool between the foam mattress topper and the surface below, encouraging mold growth. Darkness and body heat can compound the problem.
    • If you see mold, immediately call Residence Life and Housing or Facilities and Campus Services to have the area treated.

Keeping Rooms Safe & Comfortable

Each residence hall room has an extra-long twin bed (36” by 80”), a dresser, a desk and desk chair, and a Micro-Fridge® Appliance (except in the Polo Road area houses, campus apartments and Martin Hall). Each room also has window blinds and a closet or wardrobe unit.

How you make your room your home is one of the first topics you and your roommate will likely discuss. Make your room as comfortable as possible, but use common sense when adding those extra touches; keep safety in mind.

You may rearrange the furniture, but do not obstruct smoke detectors, sprinklers or heating/air conditioning vents, and do not rearrange furniture in a way that will impede a quick exit from the room in case of an emergency. You may not remove, or request to have removed, any University property from your room. If you want to bring additional pieces of furniture, these items must fit into the existing room setup. Large pieces of furniture that cannot be incorporated into the current room arrangement are not allowed.

When affixing wall hangings, do not use materials such as nails, glue, wall hooks, or masking or double stick tape which can damage the walls. “Hold-It” and push pins work well in keeping wall hangings in place and the walls intact. Wall coverings, such as wallpaper and contact paper, are not allowed. Overhead lights cannot be covered with any materials (e.g. flags, fabric, etc.).


Property Insurance 

Neither Wake Forest University nor the Office of Residence Life and Housing can or will assume responsibility for theft, loss or damage to your personal property. Most thefts occur when residents leave their room door unlocked and/or their property unattended. Keeping your room locked at all times is your best defense against theft. The University does not cover property loss for damage due to unforeseeable facility incidents which may occur.

Before coming to campus, you should determine what it would cost to replace belongings such as your stereo, television, camera and laptop computer (issued by Wake Forest). Check your family’s property insurance policies—many policies will cover loss or theft even if the policy is in your parents’ name(s) and you are living on campus. If not, we suggest you purchase some type of renter’s insurance.

The Student Personal Property Plan, offered by National Student Services Inc., offers a competitive policy for personal property insurance. A pamphlet with more information and an application for insurance is available at the Office of Residence Life and Housing. You may also purchase the insurance online at www.nssi.com or by calling 800.256.6774.  (Note: National Student Services Inc. is an independent organization and Wake Forest University is not affiliated with this company nor does the University receive income by providing this service for students.)

Building security

After checking in to your residence hall, you must obtain your student ID card, if you do not already have one, at the Deacon OneCard Office in Room 001 Angelou Hall. Your ID card is used to gain access to residence halls on the key card access security system (exterior building doors on Angelou, Babcock, Bostwick, Collins, Efird, Huffman, Johnson, Luter, Martin, North Campus Apartments, Dogwood, Magnolia, Palmer, Piccolo, Polo, and South halls), to suite doors on Davis, Kitchin, Poteat and Taylor houses, and at 109-111 Rosedale and 1210 Polo Road.

All doors on this system are locked 24 hours a day, but all students have access between 7 a.m. and midnight daily by using their ID cards. At midnight, these doors are programmed to allow access only to residents of the building or particular suite. Therefore, if you are visiting a friend, you should call ahead to gain access into the building or suite.

If you lose or damage your card, please come to Room 101 in the Benson Center to obtain a new one. There may be a charge for all lost, damaged or broken cards.

*Any suspicious activity witnessed on campus should be reported immediately to your Resident Adviser or Campus Police.

Extension Cords are Prohibited 

Fire regulations prohibit the use of extension cords in all residence halls and campus houses. Extension cords may be confiscated by staff, and students using them will be fined. UL-approved (Underwriters Laboratories) power strips with a circuit breaker are allowed. You must plug refrigerators directly into wall outlets without the use of a power strip.