Mid-Semester Inspection Information
What are Mid-Semester Inspections?
Every residence hall room and apartment on campus will be entered for residence hall staff to check the general health and safety of the living spaces. This will include checking for electrical hazards, fire safety issues, general cleanliness, and other policy violations such as alcohol, drugs, and weapons.
Mid-Semester Inspections occurs early during the Fall Semester – September 25-28, 2017. Students do not have to be present in the rooms while they are being inspected by residence hall staff.
It is important that all students keep their keys and student ID’s with them at all times during this week. Residence hall staff will always lock the student room door when they leave the room after it is inspected.
Residence hall staff will communicate via email with any students who are in violation of any policies. and the students will have to respond accordingly to avoid fines or other violations.
Mid-Semester Inspections Health & Safety Checklist
- You do not need to be present during the room inspection process.
- Always close and lock all windows, room and apartment doors upon departure.
- Key(s) and identification card should not be left in room.
- Do NOT unplug Microfridge and/or common area refrigerator.
- Fan coil units are to be set on 70° or higher and low.
- Personal property should be moved off the floor.
- Some examples of unhealthy environments are:
- Excessive trash/trash not being removed from room
- Dirty, wet or unlaundered clothes laying around
- Some examples of safety violations are:
- Unapproved bed loft
- Unapproved extension cords
- Candles & flammables
- Items hanging from ceiling and/or sprinkler-head
- Blocked or covered smoke detector
Inspections will be completed by your hall staff and will take place starting on Monday, September 25 between the hours of 5:00 pm -10:00 p.m. through Thursday, September 28, 2017.
Entry and Room Inspection Policy
“Residence Life and Housing, Custodial, and/or Maintenance staff may enter assigned rooms at reasonable hours for the following purposes: inspection, maintenance, to repair rooms and/or furnishings, or for reasons of health and safety. Students should be aware that room inspections will take place mid-semester and at winter and spring breaks; all inspection periods will be announced.” (Guide to Community Living, p. 17).
See your hall staff or contact Residence Life and Housing via e-mail at email@example.com or telephone at 336.758.5185.